1. WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN. Then wash them again. Not to sound repetitiv, but get into the habit of washing your hands before a meal, after a meal and any time in-between, particularly if you have been holding railings on public transports or shaking hands at the local market. Carry an anti-bacterial gel for the occasions when soap and water is not available.
2. OVER HYDRATE. On vacation, most people tend to imbibe a little more than usual. Whether it’s a bloody mary at brunch, cold beers on the beach, or happy hour cocktails. Alcohol combined with sun will make your body more susceptible to becoming dehydrated so drink lots of filtered water and a few local coconuts if available.
3. SAY NO TO ICE. You can’t be sure if purified water was used to make the ice in your drink so it’s better to avoid it altogether.
4. STAY EASY ON THE MEAT. Eat mainly cooked plant based food. Meats and fish can easily go off and should be avoided when in doubt.
5. COOKED IS MORE RELIABLE THAN FRESH. If you have any doubt about the hygiene of what and where you are eating, make sure everything is properly cooked. Most bacteria are killed after it’s been heated to a high enough temperature.
6. PEEL YOUR FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. When everything you eat is mainly cooked, you will crave fresh fruit and vegetables. Choose fruits and vegetables that can be peeled too avoid any contamination.
7. TAKE PROBIOTICS. To fight off any bad bacteria make sure you body has enough “good” bacteria inside you. If you are not intolerant to dairy you could simply learn to love yogurt and have it every day. This will help your stomach resist and fight back any bad bacteria you might ingest that could be harmful. The best strain of probiotic is Saccharomyces boulardii since it does not require refrigeration. Start taking them a month before traveling for best result.
8. LOOK FOR HIGH TURN OVER. Seek out restaurants that are busy and with a high turnover of food. Freshly cooked is better than food that has been sitting around on a tray for awhile. The longer food sits, the more likely it will play host to bacteria.
9. GET YOUR DAILY EXERCISE IN. Try to get some daily exercise in even on your travels. A beach run, an evening sunset walk, or perhaps some outdoor pushups and yoga poses is all that is needed to maintain fit.
10. GET YOUR REST. Sleep doesn’t only make you feel better. A good night sleep improves your immunity, memory and will help maintain your weight.
ENJOY YOUR TRAVELS!