Turmeric is an ancient root that has been used for centuries for it's healing properties. Turmeric comes from the root of the curcuma longa plan and it contains the active constituent called curcumin, which can benefit the hole body, both inside and out. It's powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-septic qualities makes it ideal to use in beautifying skin care.
Here's the top 10 beauty benefits of turmeric -
1. Glowing skin treatment - Turmeric's high anti-oxidant properties combined with natural yogurt and honey will work as an exfoliator, brightener and will make your skin glow like never before.
2. Cures acne - Turmeric's anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidants and oil-controlling properties will work amazingly on your skin. It will reduce the swelling, redness and serum production to balance your skin and remove any blemishes.
3. Controls oily skin - Turmeric appears to have naturally oil-controlling properties, therefor very useful as a topical ointment in creams and masks.
4. Reduces redness - The anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties will reduce swelling, puffiness and improve circulation around the inflamed areas which will sooth and remove any redness.
5. Lightens pigmentation - Turmeric inhibits excessive excretion of melanin in the skin and combined with lemon juice it will lighten any sunburn or skin pigmentation.
6. Lightens stretch marks - The active ingredient curcumin is able to act on the protein in the cell membrane and therefor change their physical properties. It will help regenerate new skin cells and help improve the appearance of the stretch marks. Combine with coconut oil for best result.
7. Relieves eczema - The active ingredient curcumin possess anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that lowers the enzymes responsible for inflammation in the body and treats the inflammation associated with eczema. Use it both internally and topically for best results.
8 . Improves skin elasticity - Turmeric's high anti-oxidant properties will slow down cell damage, improve skin texture and delay any skin ageing.
9. Whitens teeth naturally - The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties will improve your gum health and whiten your teeth naturally. Brush your teeth once a day with some turmeric powder mixed with coconut oil for best results.
10. Control dandruff - Dandruff says to be caused by a yeast overgrowth and possible over active sebum glands. The anti bacterial and oil removing properties in Turmeric will help relieve itch and balance your scalp. Best combined with apple cider vinegar or lemon. Rub it in your scalp and leave it in for an hour before shampooing.
BASIC FACE MASK RECIPE
The turmeric basic face mask is easy to make and acts as a moisturiser, exfoliator and reduces redness and blemishes. It brightens the skin and makes it look fresh and glowing.
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of raw organic honey
1 teaspoon of natural yoghurt (or milk)
Optional ingredients to add – you can add to the above mixture: some chickpea flower to thicken the paste, 1 tsp. of lemon juice (helps lighten the skin and good for oily skin) and/or a few drops of tea tree essential oil if you suffer from acne.
Add turmeric and the rest of the ingredients in to a bowl and mix well. You can adjust the amount of yogurt or milk and opt. chickpea flower to make the paste more or less thick, make sure it's a firm paste that will stick to your face. Note: Turmeric is a dye and it can stain anything, so you don't want it dripping off your face.
Face preparation -
Wash face with warm water and remove all makeup. If your hair is long, remove it from the face and tie it in the back and be careful staining any clothes you are wearing.
Application of the mask -
Apply the mask evenly over the face with your fingertip. Don't miss applying the mask under the eyes as turmeric is anti-inflammatory and will help reduce dark circles.
Let the mask dry on your skin, leaving it on for about 20 min. Wash it off with cool water and dry the face gently with a towel. Repeat the mask over the course of a few days, depending on your needs and complexion.If you have any left over, you can store it in the fridge for 1-2 days until next use.