A fully functioning immune system is one of the most vital aspects of a healthy body, helping to prevent and combat disease. However for many people , the immune system does not function as effectively as it should, causing disease, allergies and triggers a range of auto-immune disorders.
Here's what you can do to strengthen your immune system and keep in tip-top condition:
1. Take care of your gut - You can do this by starting your day with a glass of warm water and lemon. Avoid highly processed foods, lessen sugar and alcohol intake, cut down on caffeine. Eat probiotic rich foods such as kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, miso, kimchi and pickles.
Your gut health an immune system are inextricably linked. About 70-80 % of your immune tissue is located within your digestive system and it is often the first entry point for bad bacteria and viruses that can cause disease. Changing your diet will change the kind of bacteria that you have, which will either support the strengthening of your immune system, or weakening it. So keep that gut healthy!
2. Stress management - Long term stress is a big contributor for a weakened immune system, and we all seem to live with it. Find a way to relieve your stress daily. Go for a long walk, turn off your phone, have a bath, take a yoga class, exercise, meditate, drink a cup of herbal tea or watch your favorite tv show. Find out what works best for you, so you can give ur body a break and a chance to heal.
Chronic stress causes the adrenal glands to secrete higher levels of corticosteroids, which depress immune function.
3. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes and drugs - All related to heart disease, hypertension, stroke and inhibits t-cell and macrophage activity. They are simple not compatible with a healthy immune system. So cut out the crap!
4. Exercise - Over and over again research confirms that regular moderate exercise enhances immune function and protects against disease as well as being an effective way to relieve stress.
Three or more 30- min exercise a week, such as a brisk walking, jogging, cycling or swimming, are ideal for optimizing immunity. Be aware that overexertion can suppress T - cell function and other immune response, so don't over do it!
5. Eat a rainbow colored diet - Natural and fresh is the best. Nourish your body with colorful fruits and veggies like; berries, grapefruit, avocado, sweet potato, red pepper, beetroot and Kale. They all contain amazing antioxidants, anti-cancer and detoxifying properties. Not to mention the minerals and vitamins that are so important for your immune function. Adding a green juice or a smoothie to your diet is a great way to get more greens in every day.
Having an antioxidant rich diet that support your immune defense is essential for your well being. Avoid all processed and high sugar foods that only cause inflammation and damage to your body.