DON'T EXERCISE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!
Have you ever gone to the gym on an empty stomach, and felt tired after 5 push ups or failed lifting the weights you normally do?! I definitely have.
Even though you might be tempted to skip calories before a workout, please don't!
Not eating before a workout can result in low blood sugar which leads to light-headiness and fatigue which in the end just leads to poorer results in the gym.
The statement " working out on an empty stomach will help you burn more fat " is the biggest fitness myth ever, let me tell ya!
Would you ever drive a car without fuel? or use your phone without charging it? I Didn't think so!
Your body needs energy to perform at a high intensity and fuel to burn fat!
You don't need to gorge yourself but having a snack 30-45 min before your workout will help you endure your workout longer, help burn more calories, and improve your muscle tone.
" You need to make sure you have a combination of carbs and protein " to provide the energy you need during strength exercise and nutrients to repair muscles afterwards.
Here's my top 5 snacks to eat before a workout:
1. BANANAS - Loaded with easily digested carbohydrates and potassium which aids in maintaining nerve and muscle function. The body doesn't store potassium for very long so this will help keep your nutrient levels high. Combine it with some protein for best results.
Ex : Peanut butter & banana on a wholewheat toast.
2. OATS - full of fiber, which means they gradually release carbohydrates in to the bloodstream. This steady stream will keep your energy levels consistent throughout your workout. Oats also contain B-vitamins which help convert carbohydrates into energy. Pretty good stuff!
Ex : Oatmeal with half a banana, blueberries and 1 tbsp of peanut butter.
3. WHOLEGRAIN BREAD - 1 slice of wholegrain provides a great source of carbohydrates. It's also easily combined with good protein sources such as hard boiled eggs, turkey or some jam and peanut butter.
4. FRUIT AND YOGURT - Fruit is high in carbohydrates and yogurt has a great amount of protein. The carbohydrates are easily used for fuel during the workout and the protein is used after to help prevent muscle damage.
5. PROTEIN SMOOTHIE - This is in an easily digested and quick option for the busy bee, my own personal favorite. Combine protein powder, carbohydrates and fruit in one go.
Ex recipe : 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup of raw oats and frozen blueberries. Delicious!
I Hope these tips help you get a better result in the gym!
Peace and Love